Suffolk House Restaurant, Penang (Part 2): Taste Of Fine Dining At A Fine House

Remember my first posting on Suffolk House Restaurant?
(Read: Suffolk House Restaurant, Penang (Part 1): A Romantic Place For Fine Dining But I Ended Up Having Evening Buffet)

Well, I finally got to experience some fine dining there! I attended another function there but instead of some lousy buffet that I had during my previous visit, they served some nice, fine foods this time.

Nice table arrangements. The function room was a little warm, probably because my function was held in the afternoon. Otherwise, it was spacious and the comfortable.

Lunch Menu. Entries: Cream of Mushroom Soup. Choice of Mains: Chicken Pitiver (French Pie) In A Rich Creamy Sauce With Leeks And Gruyere Cheese OR Grilled Red Snapper Fillet With A Smoked Chili Saffron Ruie And A Caraway Infused Broth. Dessert: Traditional Bread And Butter Pudding. Coffee/ Tea. Impressive ways to name your dishes!

Entries: Cream of Mushroom Soup.
Close-up photo: Cream of mushroom soup, rich in flavor but not too strong on my taste buds, plus slight buttery taste. Will enjoy this soup more if it's hotter and not room temperature. 

My choice of mains: Grilled Red Snapper Fillet With A Smoked Chili Saffron Ruie And A Caraway Infused Broth
Close-up photo: Grilled red snapper fillet with a smoked chili saffron ruie and a caraway infused broth. I wonder why they'd grill the fillet if it's fresh? I won't mind my fillet being a little crunchy over the skin but I do not like it when the meaty part became toughened. How's the taste like? At best, just lightly seasoned but if I were mean, I'd say it was tasteless (I might as well eat sushi!). Also, having just three small pieces of fillet was not adequate! No wonder they're giving a whole chunk of mashed potatoes under it to fill my stomach. The broth failed to infused any flavor at all to the mashed potatoes or the fillet. Again, I do not enjoy my food at room temperature! Ended up enjoying and appreciating the vegetables more:)

My friend's choice of mains: Chicken Pitiver (French Pie) In A Rich Creamy Sauce With Leeks And Gruyere Cheese. According to her, so-so only. According to me, no different from 'karipap ayam', hahaha. Can you imagine eating only chicken currypuff in a fancy restaurant for lunch? That's 'fine dining'! My friend did said that the sauce tasted special but the same can't be said with the chicken pitiver (French pie), just like any chicken currypuff, minus the curry, aii. They can give whatever nice and bombastic name but they can't fool the taste buds. I heard they charged RM120/person for lunch 'fine dining', omg! 
Dessert: Traditional Bread And Butter Pudding
Close-up photos: My traditional bread and butter pudding. Excellent! The pudding was warm, soft and melt-in-your-mouth type while the ice-cream provide the perfect balance. Actually, it's a simple dish but we all love dessert, right?:)

Now, for the tour around Suffolk House...

Francis Light's bedroom

Suffolk House: The sitting room

Suffolk House: The living room
Suffolk House: A view from the top
Suffolk House: Another view from the top
Goodbye, exiting Suffolk House:)
Suffolk House Restaurant
250, Jalan Air Itam, 
10460 Penang 
(next to the Malaysian-German Society)
+6 (0)4 228 3930
Email: info@suffolkhouse.com.my  Website: www.suffolkhouse.com.my
Tips:
Come visit this historical place.

Tasty Or Not?
Rating: 6/10 for lunch 'fine dining', still not up to par, IMHO

No comments:

Post a Comment