Famous Duck Rice On A Famous Road: Yat Seng Roast Duck Rice @ Georgetown, Penang.

Famous, but is it tasty? 

I went to find out. I'd heard my friends saying to me that this duck rice and I was looking forward to give it a try for quite some time. Unfortunately, every time I wanted to there to eat, I always ended up at my favorite banana leaf (Read: My Ultimate Food Discovery In Penang, My Favorite!: Famous Banana Leaf Rice @ Lumut Lane, Georgetown Penang), hehe.

Jalan Cheong Fatt Tze
For those who don't know where is this restaurant, it's located at the intersection between Jalan Cheong Fatt Tze and Lebuh Carnarvon.

Small stall with huge followings. Price written on the stall front. It's not cheap but don't expect the roast ducks here to last long. Selling like hot cakes!
The boss, friendly and efficient. Besides roast duck, there's also siew yuk and char siew.
The crowds. Consider yourself lucky if you get a place to seat.
Anyway, I finally managed to eat at this place (when I'm not with N, my banana leaf eating buddy, hehe). Crowds started to soar as soon as the boss open his stall and from then on they kept on coming

The 'essence' of Cheong Fatt Tze duck rice is the special sauce.
My order came within 10 minutes. Seen here was the duck drumstick and hidden siew yuk and char siew under it. Together with the rice, cost RM9, not really cheap, huh!
After the duck drumstick was transferred to the rice plate, seen here the char siew and siew yuk. The siew yuk, crispy on the top but not salty/ tasteless at the bottom part. The char siew wasn't what I asked for ('pun fei, pun sau'/ half lean and half fat) but the he did gave the the more roasted part, which  is much more aromatic, but slightly high in carcinogenic content (don't consume too much, okay?)
Duck drumstick, bad idea. Unlike chicken drumstick, duck drumstick here poses a few problems. Firstly, the stubborn meat are even more stubborn at this part, which is more exercised by, the duck, hehe. Secondly, the bones here proved troublesome to separate because the boss chopped the duck drumstick into small pieces and the bones splintered everywhere. Finally, not enough meat. My suggestion, ask for the meaty portion of the duck. Better still, ask for duck breast meat. Actually, the duck meat here are soft (not stubborn) and juicy, plus no unwanted duck taste.
Very heavy lunch, very satisfied.
246 Lebuh Carnarvon
10100 Georgetown, Penang
 Open daily, 11am to 3pm

Tips:
No need to order so much, just the duck meat is enough.

Tasty Or Not?
Rating: 8.5/10. This is my best duck rice that I managed to eat in Penang. Is there nicer ones?:)

1 comment: