Fried Chicken @ Kafe 35, Fettes Park, Tanjong Tokong, Penang: Best Belachan Fried Chicken Discovered By Me!

I’m a chicken lover, fried chicken to be precise. I love to eat at McDonald and my order will be always like this, ‘2 pieces of chicken, spicy, thigh & ribs and with 1 regular light Coke’. I'll show you all next time how I eat my McDonald spicy fried chicken next time, hehe.

So, it brings me much joy when I ‘discovered’ a small stall near where I stayed selling tasty, cheap (refer to the price below) and special fried chicken. And why is it special? The chicken is fried with ‘belachan’/ shrimp paste flavor and it tastes great. Besides the regular drumstick, chicken wing, thigh and ribs, this stall also sells fried chicken SKIN, hehe.

Unbeatable price and taste. Can you imagine the price is same as my favorite fried chicken in Tapah, Perak?
Happily obliged when I asked him to pose for me
Nicely fried to golden, 'sunny' brown, hehe. Drumsticks not seen here because frying in progress.
 
The small stall is located along the same road as Fatty Loh Chicken Rice. Heading towards Island Plaza direction, the belachan fried chicken stall is located on your left just outside Kafe 35 (do not go to the wrong stall because there is another stall selling belachan fried chicken also nearby). It’s manned by one middle age man and opened from 5pm onwards. I’d suggest you to come earlier or else the belachan fried chicken skin will be sold out.

Kafe 35, Fettes Park, Tanjong Tokong
 
For dinner, my usual order will always be…
a)      ‘2 drumsticks, 2 chicken wings and RM1 of fried chicken skin’, plus
b)      I’ll tapau (takeaway) plain rice + fried ‘ikan bilis’/ anchovies and ‘banjir’/ flood my rice with chicken curry from a stall selling great ‘Sabah’ foods (I’ll write about this stall some other time) beside this belachan fried chicken stall, perfect combination...plus,
c)      Also not forgetting, I’ll order 1 glass of barley with extra ‘zhar’/ barley seeds (most other stalls in Penang use barley powder instead of the actual barley seeds nowadays, yucks!)

The boss bringing my order, 2 drumsticks, 2 chicken wings and RM1 fried chicken skin, ALWAYS!
All these just for me, yup! yay! yum!
Fried belachan drumstick. You must be wondering why the second photo looked weird, as if the drumstick was denuded one side. Actually, the boss cut open one side so that the chicken meat from inside also will be coated with belachan flavor and for more evenly frying. I’m sure most of you had eaten drumstick that appeared ‘less’ cooked inside. This is what I called extra effort, kudos!
Complete fried chicken wing, including small drumsticks, for only RM1.60

Fried chicken skins! Only RM1 and I got so many. If you were to buy from another fried belachan chicken stall, it’ll cost you RM0.20 per piece of fried chicken skin. Don’t go to that stall!
My barley, hot and with extra ‘zhar’/barley seeds
My wholesome meal for dinner;)
Kafe 35 Belachan Chicken
35, Jalan Fettes, 
Fettes Park, 
11200 Penang

Tips:
1. Actually, ordering drumsticks and fried belachan chicken skins are good enough. Chicken wing somehow don’t pack as much belachan taste, don’t know why.
 2. Eat in, don’t take away

Tasty Or Not?
Rating 8/10 for the tasty belachan fried chicken and the extra effort to prepare it. A must try! I really hope someday it comes to his senses to make it SPICY, then his business will fly!

4 comments:

  1. When get back to penang, i'm so gonna try this, argh!, miss penang food so much! Btw, i really enjoy ur entry, =]

    ReplyDelete