[HALAL] MAJ Muslim Food: Softest And Tastiest Chappati In Penang? Combo Meal For Just RM6

Again, according to my trusted friend, N, I was told about the best chappati in Penang and it’s again located at the epicenter of fantastic foods in Penang, Georgetown! I went there on the first time and it was closed (on Tuesday). I went again on the next day and my persistence paid off, it’s open:)

MAJ Muslim Food sign board, halal
Oops, I was spotted taking his photo! Hehe. He’s the one who’s preparing the chappati.

Hmm, I wonder how this ordinary chappati attained the ‘special’ status? Is it the dough or is it the one preparing it?
Price lists, reasonable priced and affordable
I ordered one set; chappati (RM0.80/ piece)  and curry chicken (RM4), plus a cup of hot
Nescafe tarik, ‘kurang manis’ (RM1.20). Service was quick, with the Nescafe arrived first and then followed by the chappati and curry chicken.

My hot Nescafe (RM1.20) tarik, kurang-manis. Nicely tarik-ed with a layer of foam on top.
Lonely Nescafe, waiting for the chappati and curry chicken
Chappati with curry chicken

Chappati (RM0.80/ piece). The boss charged me for 2 pieces when I clearly remembered eating only one piece. I told him I ate only one piece but he adamantly said I ate 2 pieces! I should’ve shown to him this photo that I’d taken as proof but it didn’t cross my mind at that time because I don’t want cause any commotion
Animosity aside due to the chappati controversy, how’s the food? Well, the chappati was evidently soft but there are some parts with ‘burnt’ mark (see photo above) and the taste wasn’t as great as the simple ‘roti canai telur’, probably because no egg and the minimal oil used (good) are those cheap cooking oil (?saturated, bad) instead of the nicer and more fragrant ‘Planta’ brand.

‘Quarter’ curry chicken, best companion for any types of order. The curry chicken was well-cooked till soft and no force was needed to take the chicken meat or to separate the drumstick from the thigh as it’s so thoroughly cooked. The curry seemed to absorb into the chicken during the cooking the reverse of process happened when you eat the chicken and releases all the curry flavor, great!
Kedai Makanan Dan Minuman MAJ/
MAJ Muslim Food
Lebuh Ah Quee,
10200 Georgetown, Penang
(Opens daily, afternoon till late evening)

Tips:
Check the number of chappati and pay first as the boss is a little cunning (or maybe don’t know how to count, or maybe just plain blunder).

Tasty Or Not?
Rating: 7/10 (6/10 for the normal, plain, 'just' soft chappati and 7.5/10 for the amazingly delicious, curry ‘absorbent’ curry chicken).

2 comments: