Pasar Air Itam Laksa, Air Itam, Penang: Best Penang Laksa. Period!

One of the must eat food in Penang is definitely LAKSA.

Actually, my friend from Ipoh planned to visit Penang this coming morning (and I'm not around) and she asked me where to find great foods that can only be found in Penang. That's why I'm rushing with this blog entry so that she can search for the best laksa in Penang tomorrow.

Once you see this road sign, you're near one of the best laksa in Penang
The best laksa in Penang varies according to who you ask in Penang. Some will tell you that the best laksa is in Balik Pulau, while others will tell you it's in Air Itam. Personally, I must admit that I haven't taste the Balik Pulau laksa yet but if the laksa is anything like Air Itam, both will taste awesome! I must admit here too that I'm a 'curry-lover' but I decided to give laksa a try.

Pasar Air Itam Laksa. Located just outside the Air Itam market in Penang. 'Gam jiu pai/ golden signboard' really fitting for this establishment. Throngs of visitors/ tourists come to this stall daily. It was really hard finding for place to sit!
What's Penang laksa? Penang laksa is also known as asam laksa from the Malay for tamarind, comes from the Malaysian island of Penang. It is made with mackerel (ikan kembung) soup and its main distinguishing feature is the asam or tamarind which gives the soup a sour taste. The fish is poached and then flaked. Other ingredients that give Penang laksa its distinctive flavour include lemongrass, galangal (lengkuas) and chilli. Typical garnishes include mint, pineapple slices, thinly sliced onion, 'ha-ko', a thick sweet prawn paste and use of torch ginger.

The boss preparing a bowl of laksa. All the ingredients are actually pre-made already. He just need to 'assemble' all the ingredients only. It will only take awhile to prepare a bowl of laksa and the service is really quick, no matter how many people also.

Assistance putting up the finishing touch; onions, 'ha-ko', chili, mint, etc.
My Penang laksa. The soup base is very flavorful and filled with generous amount of flaked mackerels. The 'ha-ko'/ thick prawn paste amplify the flavor of this dish much, much more. Sweet, sourish taste with refreshing mint and onion slices stimulates all my taste buds!
The thick rice noodles/ loh shu fen is the noodle of choice for Penang laksa. Every spoonful will contain almost everything, from the mackerel-filled soup to the onion and minty laced thick rice noodles.
Penang Laksa/ Asam Laksa
Pasar Air Itam
Jalan Pasar
11500 Air Itam, Penang
Open daily: 11:30am – 10:00pm (Midnight on Sundays)

Tips:
Try to eat-in if possible. Takeaway doesn't seemed so nice. If you have to, separate the soup from the noodles.
I think no need to go all the way to Balik Pulau for Penang laksa.
Check out another great food nearby! (Read: Sisters Curry Mee, Jalan Air Itam, Penang: Famous Curry Mee In Air Itam, Feeding Generations)

Tasty Or Not?
Rating: 8.5/10. A must eat food in Penang! You'll come back for more:)

3 comments:

  1. WTF!! I came to visit this place because somesay the laksa is one of the must try food in Penang. My wife and I wanna save room for some other delicous food in Penang, so we just order 1 laksa and we share it. My friends also ordered 1 laksa and share with his wife.

    Out of sudden the beverage stall worker automatically put 3 sugar cane ice and force you to pay. WTF! Why must I drink sugar cane in the first place! I was intented to order coconut ice because the weather is hot and try to cool down the heat but... F***, I rejected him and he try to threatened me by saying "You must order drink in order to have laksa here"... !@#$. I don't like to be forced to do something that I don't want to and still I rejected him again. !@#$.

    Finally the laksa is served and it cost RM3.50 each and my wife gave the old lady RM50. After waited for like 20mins, the old lady still hasn’t returned RM43 and I called the lady for my change. The f***ing old aunty return me just RM3 and insist she accepts only RM10 from my wife. WTF, RM50 become RM10!! I argue with her and she runs back to the stall (maybe trying to get cover from the stall owner). I followed her to the stall and start asking for the change from the owner. F***, the owner said that the aunty will only accept RM10 from customer and for RM50, other worker will collect from you. WHAT?! I was stunned and this is the first time I heard this kind of reason to cheat money. The stall owner also said I should have asked for the change immediately. !@#$ F***, they have many customer and very busy so it is normal for them to take time to return my change. Their worker start to accuse I have made a mistake. F***!! No point to keep arguing with this kind of rude people, my wife throw back the RM3 at them and stormed out….. F*** spoiled my holiday mood…. Rm50 for 2 F***ing asam laksa!!
    Your food is famous doesn’t mean you have the right to treat customer in such manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Air Itam Market laksa incident certainly sounds sleazy to me.

    Over the years, there're many tales regarding this laksa stall, mostly unpleasant ones.

    As for which laksa is the best in town, in my humble opinion, neither this one, nor the one in Balik Pulau, nor the one opposite PCGHS, nor the one in Pulau Tikus (no longer operating i suppose), nor the one near Batu Ferringhi, nor the one at Keat Seng (ok, this one is at least edible, i admit), nor the one at ... Many so called famous stalls in Penang are famous for reasons other than being delicious. Of course, i really doubt if that many people know those stories nowadays. Most bloggers are simply, as we say in Hokkien, "kap siau" (derogatory remark).

    If you ask me about my favorite laksa stall in Penang, sorry won't tell. It's difficult to find one serving with almost all essential laksa ingredients these days. Don't want to make the place famous. Besides the aunty selling it is currently on a long vacation in Australia visiting her daughter. Don't think she cares too much being famous and making big bucks from her laksa either, though she sometimes boasts serving the best laksa in town to friends, which i concur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penang batu feringgi laksa is best

    ReplyDelete