Banana Leaf Rice @ Kedai Makanan Raju: Below Expectation, The Search For Great Banana Leaf Rice Continues...

I was missing my Penang banana leaf rice so much (Read: My Ultimate Food Discovery In Penang, My Favorite!: Famous Banana Leaf Rice @ Lumut Lane, Georgetown Penang) that I told myself I must settle my work early today and rushed out to eat banana leaf rice at restaurant nearby.

Kedai Makan Raju @ PJ during lunch time. A lot of workers but not very helpful and their service is slow. Hm..maybe they're foreigners and don't understand what I said, hehe
Err, nowhere was it written in their signboard that banana leaf rice is served here. Looked like a seafood restaurant to me if I'm just passing by, hehe. I was wondering if I made the right decision to eat my banana leaf rice here. Yes, they do serve banana leaf rice. 
I'd love to try out Nirwana Maju banana leaf rice at Bangsar but I knew that it would be futile to even attempt to go there, with all the traffic jams around lunch time. Instead, I settled for somewhere nearer. My friend, S, told me that there is a nice banana leaf rice restaurant nearby La Salle school, PJ.

Great view! So many choices of main dishes here. Chicken, prawns and mutton curry/ kurma/ etc. I chose the dry curry mutton. Did I made the right choice?
How was it? Continue reading...
Choices of vegetables. Actually there was nothing to choose from, just 3 different veges available only; cucumber with pineapple and green vegetables (I took 2 servings for both). The middle one, I didn't touch because it tasted sour-ish. I was also given two small pieces of papadom (still crunchy, nice). My dry mutton curry on the far and right side.
Judgement time...how was it? Again, my high expectation for this restaurant's banana leaf rice was dashed again. The dry mutton curry only looked nice outside only but inside, the 'uncooked' taste of mutton still there (yuck!). Either they didn't cook long enough for the curry taste to be absorbed or the mutton is not properly prepared. However, the mutton meat wasn't stubborn and there was no bone, making it easy to eat. I tried mixing the mutton with the dry curry sauce (minimal amount only) to take away the 'unwanted' taste (but the taste still lingers!). For my rice, I mixed it with chicken curry. From the homogenous chicken curry appearance and no spices seen at all, I guessed it's made from curry powder and nothing authentic, aii.
Open everyday, 6.30a.m until 10pm. Want to know how much my banana leaf cost? RM15! Wtf! The taste there is just one-tenth compared with my Penang banana leaf rice but the price is doubled! I can eat a better, tastier and more satisfied banana leaf rice at half the price in Penang!
Outside the restaurant, there's a lot of seafoods that you can order and prepared on-the-spot. Not interested and probably won't be coming back to this restaurant anymore.

27 Jalan Chantek 5/13
Bukit Gasing, 46000 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
03-7956-1361
 
Tasty Or Not?
Rating: 5.5/10. Mediocre banana leaf rice only but I must stressed that I just tried one of their many dishes only. Perhaps, other main dishes are nicer. Just don't order mutton!

4 comments:

  1. yep.. this restaurant is way too expensive.. but statisfying.. you might wanna try banana leave at sharavana Bavan at PJ Oldtown..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think nirwana in bangsar rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks kurosaki, il check it out!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still waiting to read the one that can match Lumut Lane champion...

      Delete