Roti Canai @ Transfer Road, Georgetown, Penang: A Different Kind of Bread For Breakfast

This morning, I went to Transfer Road for breakfast. And when one mentioned going to Transfer Road for breakfast, it's usually associated with the 'must try' roti canai sidewalk stall, located along Transfer Road (beside mosque and before reaching Caltex petrol station). I reached there early in the morning while they sky is still dark (darn, substandard pics! my Galaxy S no flash!)

Early breakfast, sky still dark (roti canai kosong garing with chicken curry plus sambal)

'Dough balls' (hehe)
What's 'roti canai'?
Think of it a hybrid between bread and pizza, haha. I don't really know the English translation for 'roti canai' either. So, if you're a tourist reading this blog, please refer to the photos instead and trust me, try it!

I ordered one piece of 'roti canai kosong garing with kuah ayam plus sambal' (meaning, crispy plain roti canai with chicken curry plus sambal, just repeat this if you're a tourist and don't know how to order, hehe). You can also order roti telur (roti canai plus egg). Better still, add mutton/ chicken and your whole meal will still be under RM4 (although there are just 2-3 'small' pieces of meat in it, hehe)!


'Dough balls' flattened and tossed to make it into a thin piece. (I swear I recorded a video of this but somehow I couldn't find it in my Galaxy S, darn!)

Flattened dough are fried on flat pan

End product: roti canai. (Eaten a bit before I realized I haven't snap any photo, too excited to eat, hehe)


 Kuah ayam and kambing (Chicken and mutton curry)

Hungry crowds

Prices, subject to change:)

My friend, N, who suggested to me this place and told me that they made one of the best roti canai in Penang.

Hmm, I think it's overated. The roti canai is small and oily (making it lose its 'garing-ness' fast). I'd eaten better roti canai elsewhere. However, to be fair, their chicken curry and mutton curry are indeed nice combinations to be eaten together with roti canai.

Roti Canai Transfer Road
Transfer Road, Penang (just beside the mosque)

Tips:
1. Shread a small piece of your crispy roti canai and dip in-and-out' the chicken/mutton/dhal curry fast to maintain the roti canai 'garing-ness (crispiness)' and yet still allow the curry to envelope it.
2. Can always ask for extra curry for free (without meat)
3. The stall just next to it sells nice toast and half boiled eggs also.

Tasty or Not?
7/10. Nice, light and simple breakfast...but unhygienic because it's situated just at the sidewalk. Once, there was a bus passing emitting black fumes, omg! Eat at your own risk.

Update:
8/10 if you eat the roti canai together with curry chicken/mutton. It'll just cost RM2+ (forgotten) extra:)

No comments:

Post a Comment