Nasi Kandar SUBAIDAH, Sungai Dua, Penang: The Wait...Till 10.30pm

I’d been pestering my colleague, N, to tell me good foods available at where he stays, Sungai Dua, Penang. He recommended to me Nasi Kandar Subaidah at Sungai Dua...but, there are already a few branches in Penang, including one much nearer to where I stay at Tanjong Tokong. Think he want to trick me:)

Front signage
Subaidah satellite stall, Nasi Lemak Daun Pisang
He further mentioned that only in Sungai Dua branch there is this special nasi lemak ayam goreng with long queues and only open from 10.30pm onwards. My curiosity got the best of me and I reached there at 10pm. It’s located just next to Tesco Sungai Dua, so it’s easy to find.

2 workers seen here preparing for the onslaught starting at 10.30pm

[18SG] 
Video: Frying chicken

It was still too early according to a worker manning the stall. He added ‘the rice, eggs and sambal will only be brought out at 10.30pm only.’ He was preparing the stall and frying the chicken. I have to pay first and then pass him the receipt to ‘queue’. I was number 4 at 10pm. By 10.30pm, there were about 15ppl queuing up.

Receipts ‘queuing’
 
Ingredients for Nasi Lemak Ayam Goreng

Nicely prepared eggs
Nuts/ kacang
Cucumber and banana leaves

Sambal

Secret sauce for dipping the chicken before frying
Fried chicken
Exactly at 10.30pm, the rice, eggs and sambal were brought out I soon got hold of my nasi lemak ayam goreng. Ordered teh tarik also, RM1.10, perfect match.
 

Close-up shots

Closer-up shots

 
How was the nasi lemak ayam goreng? The sambal was ‘just right’ spicy but I couldn’t find any onions or ikan bilis in it. The fried chicken was nice to eat because the meat was tender, warm and the the skin flavorful. However, I think they didn’t marinate the chicken because only the outer part of the chicken tastes nice (after they dipped the chicken into secret sauce before frying it) while the meat tasted bland if not for the sambal.

Restoren Nasi Kandar Subaidah
Lebuh Pekaka 3
Jalan Sungai Dua
Gelugor, Penang 11800

Tips:
Come early to beat the waiting time
Nothing beats having sambal 'banjir' (banjir = flooding, akin having the sambal flooding your whole rice). Add sambal!

Tasty Or Not?
Rating: 6.5/10. It’s a rather simple meal with basic taste. Honestly, it was a heavy meal for supper and shouldn’t be taken too late. The stalls opened at 10.30pm when fried chicken and nasi lemak were readily available 'inside' the restaurant, I think it’s just a gimmick, a good one though.

1 comment: