Vegetarian Foods @ Thaipusam Celebrations, Penang: More Than Just Foods (Part 1/3)

To be honest, I actually wanted to write about Thaipusam celebrations in Penang. However, since ‘Tasty Or Not?’ is a food blog, I’m obliged to put up some foods that I’d came across. My friend, N told me that the ‘real’ celebration of Thaipusam starts from eve of Thaipusam.

And so, I decided walk to the hilltop temple on eve of Thaipusam, starting from Penang General Hospital at 7.30pm. Walking alongside with multitude of worshipers, the sound of celebrations can be heard from far away and it got louder as I approached the epicenter of the celebration, along the whole stretch of road towards Botanical Garden.

One of the nicely decorated altar along Jalan Utama, Penang
Altars were set-up along the road, which the chariot carrying Lord Muruga will pass by and offerings will be presented to Him. The chariot was pulled by 2 cows and stopped about every 10 feet because so many people jostled to present offerings.

Lord Muruga Chariot

Lord Muruga Chariot

Offerings from faithful

In front of the chariot, youngsters performed line dance. I managed to move myself in front of the huge crowd to record some videos. Enjoy, yay!.
 



There were just too many people. I'm literally inching myself towards the hilltop temple...to be continue

No comments:

Post a Comment