Golden Phoenix, Equatorial Hotel, Penang: Fine Dining For Dim Sum?

I was somehow lucky to be at the right place, at the right time today. BS was planning to give my boss, V, a farewell treat and I happened to be ‘around’, hehe. So, I got a chance to taste hotel dim sum for lunch at Equatorial Hotel, Penang. How was it compared to other non-hotel dim sum restaurant?

Actually, the journey to Equatorial Hotel was a little bit awkward because I was seated at the back of the car sandwiched by V and BS but fortunately, the journey was a short one, hehe.
The restaurant perched high above and overlooking golf course @ Bukit Jambul. Life of the rich and famous…not my life yet


Entrance to Golden Phoenix Restaurant, famous for their featured authentic Szechuan and Cantonese cuisine. Dim sum selections are also available for lunch
Table decoration. Think my boss must be wondering that I’m weird, or sissy for taking this photo.
Menu, too many choices. Will not be able to taste all in one visit, or 5, or even 10, hehe
Lung jing tea, giving the ‘kam’/ refreshing taste and aftertaste at the throat. Coffee can’t do this, hehe

BS went on a dim sum ordering ‘spree’, 2 of each; har gao, siew mai, boneless chicken, loh mai kai, yee peng and one plate of chee cheong fun and yam + prawns each. Instead of the typical getting the dim sum from trolley, here in Golden Phoenix, the dim sum was prepared upon ordering. So, the wait will be a bit longer than usual.

Jeng, jeng, jeng...food finally arrived!!!

1. Yam cake + prawns. Big chunks of yam cake (I think) rivaled by equally big prawns! Special mention of the excellent combination with other ingredients (which I’m not sure of). Fitting to be ‘jiu pai choi’, a must order dish.
2. Chee cheong fun, wrapping multiple prawns inside. It’s nice, just nice, not special. Maybe my expectation much higher after first dish.
3. Har gao/ prawn dumplings. I think they should just stick to the world accepted standard of 3 prawn dumplings/set and instead put in much larger prawns. Another letdown, aii
4. Siew mai/ pork dumpling. Omg, another ‘4’, not a good number la
5. Loh mai kai/ sticky rice with chicken, with no chicken? Maybe I got the name wrong, hmm.
6. Boneless chicken with muchroom. Just one mushroom? Be more generousla, this is hotel dining la or at least have the courtesy to cut the mushroom into a few pieces. Boneless chicken nice (I’m a sucker when it comes to anything boneless, don’t misunderstand pls, hehe), but not enough marinating le, really last minute work.
7. Chicken feet. Where’s the rest of the chicken leg? The tibia? Giving just the toes are a little weird la. I didn’t eat this one, so can’t comment much
8. I don’t know what’s this. And coming in just a spoonful portion, I was expecting a ‘blast’ of taste but end up another duds.
9. Yee peng/ fried fish paste. I like this a lot, maybe because my expectation already lowered. Anyway, taste good especially with the accompanying mayonnaise.
10. Fish/meat with 2 types of egg (salted egg and ‘pei tan’). Rebound! Luckily, ended my lunch with something special and creatively presented. Tasted good also.
Time to answer my earlier question. How was it compared to other non-hotel dim sum restaurant? Simple…dim sum, Ipoh rules!
Golden Phoenix
Hotel Equatorial Penang 
1 Jalan Bukit Jambul
11900 Bayan Lepas
04-6438111

Opening hours:
12.00 noon – 2.30 pm
6.30 pm – 10.00 pm
Dim sum is available on Sunday
From 9.00 am – 2.30 pm
Tips:
Come to Ipoh for dim sum

Tasty Or Not?
Rating 6.5/10. Eating dim sum akin to eating breakfast, something light and simple in a relax environment. I enjoyed my lunch here a lot (thanks BS!) but a little disappointed with some dishes. I expected much more for hotel dining but sometimes, for great foods, you don’t need to go to hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment