Vegetarian Foods @ Thaipusam Celebrations, Penang: Chinaman Finally Found Food! (Part 2/3)

(...cont)

I’d been walking since 7.30pm and by the time I’d only completed ¾ of Jalan Utama, it was already 9pm. I began to feel a little hungry. ‘Looking for food’ mode now but there were more stalls giving out drinks than food. Didn’t drink any drinks that they offered because I’m worried about sharing the same cup with thousands of people, hehe. Finally, I managed to find stalls that distribute food. Many volunteers were helping to pack and distribute free food to feed the large crowds.

Many hands make work faster. Crowds were going to this stall non-stop. Some sort of miracle as I observed that they kept on scooping food from the big container for so long, but the container never empties, hehe
Another group of volunteers, bravo!
This Chinese family also distributes food for anyone who comes to their booth. Wa, it’s so nice. Er...I meant the food.
Meal number 1; rice with vegetarian curry and unknown primaries.
Meal number 2; rice with vegetarian ‘meat’, vegetarian curry and lots of spices.

Now that I regained back energy, time to meet Lord Muruga at the hilltop mountain. Was taken aback once reaching the foot of hill because a sign there noted no shoes are allowed. OMG, I was thinking where to hide my Niki shoes. There was just no place that I can hide my shoes. Luckily, I remembered I came across a ‘shoe hotel’ and promptly ‘check-in’ my shoes with donation of RM2 to the temple. Then, it was all the way up to the hilltop temple to pay homage to Lord Muruga.

Welcome to ‘shoe hotel’. Lodged my shoes here.
Took this photo as a proof in case I lost my small piece of paper to reclaim my Nikis. Hm, if they could only write 4 numbers on the plastic bag, maybe I’d strike lottery already.
A small step for me, a big leap in my pain threshold, as I walk barefoot with so many tiny stones giving me foot ‘massage’, ouch:)
Reaching the top of the temple soon
Finally, reached the top by 10.30pm, mission accomplished! Lord Muruga basking in the limelight and the adorations of millions.

Upon coming down, was fortunate enough that Lord Muruga's ride (chariot) was reaching the temple. Witness for the first time how everyone breaking coconuts. I took a calculated risk to stand in front of the shooting/throwing line to film you this act. Luckily, no parts of my body were hit by the incoming missiles (coconuts).
The manual coconut opener, on a trolley




Tips:
  1. Go on eve of Thaipusam too, celebration started on this day itself.
  2. Don’t drive, park your car far, far away and walk
  3. Do not bring valuables along.
  4. Bring along water. I didn’t really feel comfortable sharing cup with others by the way they’re washing the cup by just rinsing it
  5. Bring lots of small notes and can donate along the way for the needful
  6. No need to wear nice shoes if planning to go up the temple. If not for the ‘shoe hotel’, I won’t dare to leave my Niki shoes to go up the hilltop temple.
  7. Bring flash if going at night and planning to take photos

Tasty or Not?
Think I won’t rate this time. Only knew I don’t think I’m suitable to be a vegan:)

(to be continue...)

No comments:

Post a Comment