Restoran Fu Kua @ Taman Megah, PJ: Something Plain, Something Nice And Something Special:)

Not many people like to eat bitter gourd or fu kua in Cantonese. It's an acquired taste.

I only learned to eat it in my late teens. In the beginning, I only eat it if it's cut into thin slices and cooked together with chicken. Still, most people that I knew do not like it.

Restoren Fu Kua @ Taman Megah, PJ. Comfortable, clean and nice ambient. Only for happy people. If you're unhappy or bitter, your feelings might resonate in it and you might feel worse, hehe.
"It's bitter, for god sake!", they told me when I asked for their reason for disliking it, hehe.

Menu
Every ways that you can imagine cooking bitter gourds is in the menu. However, if you're still not keen of trying, you can order dishes that you normally ordered in other restaurant but...shame on you for not trying:)
For me, I eat it because I want to be able to taste and experience the bitter taste, a taste that most of us disown but still, it's special enough to be part of our tongue's sensations;

Bitter
Sweet
Sour
Salty

What I ordered? Fu kua chau siew yuk (bitter gourd fried with roasted pork), fu kua man kai (bitter gourd with chicken) and fu kua ham dan (fu kua fried with salted eggs)

My sister introduced a placed that would make my tongue's other senses envy of 'Bitter'. Fu Kua Restoran @ Taman Megah, PJ specialized, I presumed, in foods cooked with bitter gourd/ fu kua. They even name their restaurant Fu Kua! I went there with J, who was unfortunately, not feeling well that day. So, I ended up eating MOST of the food that I ordered.

First dish: Fu kua chau siew yuk (bitter gourd fried with roasted pork), RM15.

Fu kua nicely sliced into thin pieces and fragrantly fried with garlic bits. The roasted pork/ siew yuk was disappointingly few in quantities, short of taste (just like eating a chunk of meat only) and soggy (not crispy at all!). Honestly, I'd just settled for the thin slices of bitter gourd and garlic bits, which tasted appetizing and original.

Second dish: Fu kua man kai (bitter gourd with chicken), RM21. Taste nice and simple, plus the sauce was concentrated-ly imbued with bitter-taste (nice!), but just too little. This is the dish that my parents would order every time we went out for dinner last time. I guessed the memories helped to 'sweetened' the bitter taste, hehe. I only got one issue with this dish, RM21!!! They mentioned 'kampung chicken' but I doubt it (as if it's my first day eating chicken, wtf!). Also, they just gave half (at most) of a chicken without drumstick(s)! Hello, I paid RM21!
Third dish: Fu kua ham dan (fu kua fried with salted eggs), RM10. I love this dish most. Salty taste outside, crunchy in the middle and bitter inside! Chinese's French fries, haha. 
Restoran Fu Kua
No.21, Jalan SS 23/15, Petaling Jaya
Open daily: 11.30am - 3pm, 5.30pm - 11pm.

Tasty Or Not?
Rating: 7/10. I love the ingenuity of this restaurant and not to mention the risk that they're taking by putting bitter gourd as their main theme. The foods here are nice but expensive (dinner for two cost me RM50 and I did not even order any seafood!). Worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment