Restoran Pontian Wanton Noodle @ SS2, PJ: Most Tasteless Noodle Ever?

I had a not so good (bad!) dinner tonight at Restoran Pontian @ SS2, PJ. While I was driving around SS2 to look for nice foods to eat tonight, I came across this restaurant. Okay, I'm a sucker when it comes to promotion, and they were having one this month...the RM3.90 promotion for their Pontian Wanton Noodle.

Restoran Pontian @ SS2, Petaling Jaya.
Anyway, just to keep my comments and criticisms short and not to waste anymore time on it, just see the photos below with their accompanying captions.


Outside poster tempting me to give it a try and trust my dinner with them.

Menu, but since I'm trying their promotional noodle, there was only one to choose from, Pontian Wanton Noodle (RM3.90, small), normally sold at RM5.

The restaurant was air-conditioned and clean. Service was average. Why? Because they took my order fast but took a long time for them to actually serve me my food. It wasn't busy also at that time.
Finally, my Pontian Wanton Noodle (RM3.90, promotional price) arrived. How was it? Appearance-wise? Char siew was plain pale in the middle and massively colored with red color on the outside, yuck!x10. Vegetables...only branches? Where were the vegetables' leaves, darn! Fried wanton? I can only see the fried wanton covering which wrapped the fillings (too small to be seen!).
Two wantons in the soup. There were just two tiny little wantons in it. Soup tasted terrible and I felt very thirsty after drinking just a little, as if mixture of flavoring gone totally wrong, very wrong, yuck!.

Closer photo of my wanton noodle. How about the taste? Their famous Pontian Wanton Noodle? I actually asked for spicy when the waiter asked whether I want my noodle spicy or not. Can you imagine my noodle being spicy but yet, I still found it tasteless?! Their special Pontian's noodles...IMHO, I find their noodle tasted 'starchy' and so were their textures too. The noodle was not bouncy and nice to eat at all. The few slices of char siew, as expected, were totally tasteless and redundant in their presence! Eating the vegetables were torturous and another major turnoff. How about the fried wantons here? It's just like eating the fried wanton wrappers and their fillings were negligible, the size of about an in between 5 and 10 cents coin (I won't even say it was size of a 10cent coin!). 

Seen here were the two 'wet' wantons that I took out from the soup. Notice the size of their fillings again?
I don't understand how they can be opening branches all over KL and Selangor with these kind of foods? It's amazing how they can cook tasteless foods. These type of foods won't even stand a chance in Penang. But...maybe I have not been fair and over-generalizing all their foods based on just one dish or just one restaurant only. I dread going back there to eat, even if it's for free.

Restoran Pontian Wanton Noodle
15, Jalan SS2/64, 47300 PJ, Selangor
Open daily

Tasty Or Not?
Rating: 1.5/10. Tasteless. Avoid. Period.

3 comments:

  1. indeed me had eaten there before (ss2) and do not find it tasty. But on contrary was in Kucai entrepeneur park had a similar outlet(maybe different partnership) same row as maybank was very tasty,spicy and qq nudles. try as u may

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pontian noodles are one of may favourites. Their taste is closer to the authentic wantan mee than most of the hawker (myanmar's cook) variety which most KLites have grown accustomed to. I love their laksa too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried once their wonton noodles at Jinjang few years ago. My friend and I were the only customer in the big restaurant. I have to admit that their wonton noodles are indeed tasteless and lack of the oommph power. Subsequently, I got to know this restaurant has a few franchise/outlets in KL and Selangor. Just wondering if our tastebud got tangled on that day.

    ReplyDelete