Chao Su Fen (Tapioca Noodle) @ Old Klang Road, KL: One Of The Kind, Plus Will Bring Back Memories For Your Grandparents Too:)

It's always great to have local people sharing great local foods with me. 

When I was in Penang, N was my food guide (and partner-in-food too, hehe) to all great foods in Penang. Now that I'm based in PJ/ KL, the table changed completely for me because, I'm the newbie here and I have to start all over again from the bottom. Luckily, I'm back into contact with my good-est university friend, Jb who's generous enough to impart to me his vast knowledge on great local foods here, yay!

Chao Su Fen (Tapioca Noodle) @ Old Klang Road, KL (RM7)
One of the food that Jb recommended to me will be reviewed here today and I took great length and great trouble to find this food. To be honest, I failed looking for this elusive food stall twice and it was third time lucky that I managed to find this food stall, tucked in between 2 food stalls and behind an old white wooden door.

I went there during a thunderstorm night and the road heading to the food stall/ restaurant was flooded (this photo was taken after I finished eating, when the flood water had subsided partially). What did I do? I parked my car at the side of the road, fold up my long pants, changed into my sandals, took out my umbrella and walked across the brown water puddle to reached the food stall/ restaurant (seen here on your left, white door and brightly lit).
Being an ardent fan of Hokkien mee, I find tapioca noodle intriguing because it was prepared with almost similar way as Hokkien mee but instead of putting in the yellow noodles, it'll be substituted with slices of tapioca instead. 

Reached the front of the restaurant. Remember this white door and it's operating hours. Surprisingly, this restaurant is air conditioned and rather comfortable inside.
Tapioca was a long forgotten food, typically associated with foods eaten during my grandparents' time when they hid in jungles during wartime (eaten with simple preparations and not like the one that I'm introducing here, hehe) or food for the poor.

Inside the restaurant, after negotiating through the flooded water poodles outside the restaurant...assessing my thoroughly wet long pants, even after I folded the long pants up (but not high enough, huh, hehe)
Let's follow my search for this hard to find, small, old and dilapidated restaurant tucked in some corners along Old Klang Road (don't worry, there's a map at the end of this posting to help you find this food stall/ restaurant).

Another view of my chao su fen (tapioca noodle). Finally, I found it!
Bird-eye view of the chao su fen (tapioca noodle), just the right amount.
Closer view at the chao su fen (tapioca noodle). Nice blend of veges and slices of tapioca, melding both into crunchy (veges)-soft (but not soggy slices of tapioca) combinations at a single bite. The sauces were lacking but thoroughly and adequately coating every slice of tapioca with penetrating deep, fragrant and saliva-inducing taste, yay!. However, they dish was slightly lacking in meat and prawns (only two, medium-sized), compensated with generous amount of tapioca slices. Hm..not a fair exchange, huh! 
Newspaper cuttings were pasted all over the walls at this restaurant. I photographed the most important newspaper cutting here, which showed the direction to this restaurant, plus the address too so that those who wanted to visit this place will be able to find it:)

Chao Su Fen (Tapioca Noodle)
No 112, Batu 4 1/2,
Jalan Klang Lama, 58200 KL

Tasty Or Not?
Rating 7.5/10. The food here is simple yet unique and tasty enough if you don't mind visiting this run-down restaurant to taste some good foods here. Bring your grandparents along too if they're still around...they'd been through a long way:)

3 comments:

  1. if an idiot like you can make a comment that Ninja Joe is not tasty then I seriously doubt the credibility of this review. Afterall this joint only deserves a 4/10 from me. You suck. The best tapioca noodles has to be in Sungai Way's Hua Xing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very harsh statement... But you should try the restaurant's Hokkien Noodle, Claypot fish head and Fish tummy soup... it's really nice

      Delete
  2. bro/sis, dun get emo le. i'll try or sungai way recomendation someday, promise.

    but..ninja joe? omg, that's a disaster, no joke

    ReplyDelete