Farewell Lunch @ Restoran Jade Palace, Penang: Food Was...Hmm, Okay

Firstly, the farewell lunch was not for me. It was for my mysterious and interesting bos, V, who planned to ?transfer back to Kuala Lumpur/ ?start own business/ ?going to private practice/ ?just taking some time off for himself/ ?getting married/ ?getting treatment. Mysterious, right? My colleagues and I were still unsure where he went till now. Hope he's okay. We held the farewell lunch for him a few weeks before he leaves because we're unsure when he'd leave us, hehe. 
Jade Palace restaurant
So, one of my colleagues went to book a table at Jade Palace restaurant, situated along Abu Siti lane and on the first floor of Choo Plaza and we hurried there during lunch hours.

Just outside the restaurant entrance
Anyway, let's me give you a running commentaries on all the foods that I ate on that day. The good, the bad, the TRUTH!

Nice decor. Good first impression. We actually got a private room for this farewell lunch, thanks to my efficient colleague.
1. Four Special Hot Combination. I always enjoy this dish whenever they serve this in the restaurant and this is no exeption. The crispy rolls were adequately filled with delicious fillings. Asparagus and ?scallops were chewy and crunchy at the same time, interesting! Slices of ?ham with secret sauce, but was a bit plain and not really enticing.
2. Braised Shark's Fin Soup With  Dry Scallops. Honestly, I'm not really a fan of shark's fin because shark's fin itself have no taste at all. Even if they put in the fake 'fin' also I couldn't differentiate it. Anyway, I like this dish for the overall sweet taste of seafood mix. However, dry scallops were a rarity here. Compare with other restaurant, I'd say it's just average only.
3. Roasted Piglet (baby/ young/ single pig). Hope you all try not to order this dish. No meat at all, just thin crispy tasteless piglet skin. At least the skin should be accompanied with meat also (preferable in ratio skin 1:3 meat). There's also no bun to eat along with this dish. The whole piglet yield NO meat at all. Extra RM100 for this piglet, not worth it.
4. Steamed Red Snapper Szechuan Style. Fish was fresh but the sauce masked the freshness of the fish. One more thing, the fish was SMALL!
5. Braised Pork Tendons, Black Mushrooms, Chile Abalone Slice and Vegetables In Brown Sauce. I like this dish a lot. Vegetables were fresh and varieties of other dishes mix and match well, tasty.
Close up photo. Cute!

6. Deep Fried Sea Prawns With Salt and Spices. LOUSY!!! From the photo itself you can see how these prawns were fried. I think my gf (who can't really cook, hehe) can fried better than this. Don't they feel embarrassed to serve this dish to us? Absolutely unacceptable!
7. Fried Noodles Ala Jade Palace. After much disappointment from the above dishes, came this last simple dish to propped up Jade Palace's standard. It's nice, not oily and adequately flavored. I like it.
Close up photo. I like it. I guess I'm still hungry after not eating much at the earlier dishes which are sub standard.
8. Assorted Fruits. Nothing special

Total damage: About RM500. 

Jade Palace Seafood Restaurant
Choo Plaza, 
3rd Floor, 41, Lorong Abu Siti, 
10400 Georgetown, Penang
 12.00 noon - 3pm, 6pm - 10.30pm
04-2275758/ 59

Tips:
Do not order set. Choose each and every dish personally. 

Tasty Or Not?
Rating 3.5/10. You can see the photos for yourself and be the judge. Some don't even need to be tasted to know it's not up to restaurant standard.I will avoid this restaurant in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment