Mee Manja @ Hutton Lane, Penang: Mee Agong? Best Mee Goreng?

Since first knowing about this place from my friend, N, I'd eaten three times at Mee Manja.

Still don't understand why a 'famous' mee goreng shop put up such a cheapskate signboard, really embarassing IMHO
The pricing, RM4.50 for regular mee goreng. Any addition and you'll be in for a shock, don't say I didn't warn you all. Also please note the off day is on Tuesday.
First visit:
I ordered regular mee goreng/ fried mee (RM4.50). The mee goreng/ fried mee was fried together with sotong (cuttle fish), egg, small pieces of potatoes and chicken. Taste nice, with some intrinsic sweetness and not soggy (takeaway mee goreng won't be nice though). I also enjoy it a lot because it was not as oily as other mee goreng that I'd tasted before.

The boss in action. You want to know why the boss named his restaurant Mee Manja? Read below
See here is my overpriced large mee goreng. Price aside, it taste good.
Second visit:
I ordered my usual 'large mee goreng with everything extra'. Instead, I just got the 'regular' size mee goreng with only 2 extra medium sized prawn, wtf! Price? RM9, wtff! I banned eating at this place for 2 months.

Another close up view of my overpriced mee goreng
Regular mee goreng...order this please next time when you eat there. Equivalent to the large mee goreng in every ways except minus 2 medium sized prawns

Third visit:
The ban period was over. I reconciled with Mee Manja and give it another try. I ordered regular mee goreng. Tasty just like the first time, nice! Not too spicy (even though I ask for extra spicy), noodles are nicely coated with eggs, sotong and chicken meat in minimal amount but are compensated with a few more chunks of potatoes. Overall, I had a pleasant meal but could be better...

Tasty mee goreng, yes...but mee Agong? Nope
Well, back to the topic. Why Mee Manja...or Mee Agong?

Firstly, the boss name is Aman Manja, get it?

How about Mee Agong? This is a bit tricky but according to my friend, certain royalty(ies?) aka Sultan(s?) was/ were seen eating here before and hence the name of Mee Agong. Badawi was also seen eating here before, but, who cares? However, I didn't see any photos taken with those royalties in this restaurant. Usually, when some big shots eat at some restaurant, their photos of them will be plastered all over the restaurant. Anyway, if the Sultan did eat here, it should be called Mee Sultan (not to be confused with the mee goreng in New World Park) instead of Mee Agong, right?

I'll stick to the name Mee Manja instead for now.

Mee Manja
Hutton Lane,
10050 Georgetown,
Penang
Close on Tuesday

Tips:
Don't order extras, just order regular mee goreng

Tasty Or Not?
Rating: 7/10, worthwhile eating here (for regular, NOT large mee goreng only) but if you're looking for great mee goreng in Penang, I'll let you know more in my future postings. Take care:)

No comments:

Post a Comment