Coconut Jelly @ Jalan Dato Kramat, Penang: Best Cooling Drink...Or Cooling Food?

OMG, the weather is super crazy nowadays! Scorching hot in the afternoon when it should ideally be raining and torrential rain in the evening when it shouldn’t be. Anyway, I have no problem with the rain. It’s just the hot weather that I beh tahan. Unfortunately, unlike those people working in office, I don’t have the luxury of air condition, aii.

Okay, okay...enough of me whining about the weather. I couldn’t control it also.

Instead, let me introduce to you a special food to cool down your body when you're under the blistering heat in Malaysia..." COCONUT JELLY "
Coconut jelly, all wrapped up. The top was already pre-opened.
What? Food? Not drink? Yes, it’s a food! Coconut drink is well known for their cooling properties by many. Now, some clever chap make coconut drinks into ‘edible’ coconut jelly.

How it’s done? The boss told me it’s a secret but after prodding him awhile, he relented. According to the boss, he used only the best pandan coconut and no preservative and additives to produce the coconut jelly. After the husk of the coconut is removed, the coconut is cooked at high temperature and is subsequently cooled down fast into single digit. Ta daa...coconut jelly is formed.

Close up photo. If you want to find more information, visit their website.
Honestly, I do not believe him (I do not have coconut brain, okay!). Even though I haven’t try his method yet and I do not know how to make jelly, I knew that something (gelatin?) must be added into the coconut drink to increase the melting point. Imagine the melting point had been raised to 10 Celsius, then the coconut drink will be in solid state at 5 Celsius. Mystery solved?!

Coconut jelly filling the whole coconut cavity. The thick, white coconut 'meat' can also be eaten after you finish eating the coconut jelly.
Anyway, deceptions aside, this coconut jelly is most refreshing and most creative way to consume coconut drink. Upon opening the pre-opened coconut shell, you can see coconut jelly filling up to the brim of the coconut. To eat it, just scoop the jelly with a spoon provided. The texture of the jelly is so soft and upon putting into my mouth and after a few ‘bites’, the jelly turned into liquid and quickly it awash down my throat. Great!
Seen here is the coconut 'jelly that I scooped out. Sweet, smooth texture, cooling properties, all in one.
Price: RM3.70/ coconut jelly. Try it out!

Joez Coconut
201, Jalan Dato Kramat
10150 Georgetown, Penang
11am - 7pm

Tips: 
Buy and consume fast...I don’t think the jelly can last long in our Malaysian weather. Better for it to melt in our mouth first.

Tasty Or Not? 
8.5/10. Seeing how the boss turned a RM0.50 pandan coconut into RM3.70 product makes me wonder why I study so much. Thinking what other drinks I can turn into jelly now, quick! Hehe 

Good news for those in Kuala Lumpur. Joez Coconut had opened a 'kiosk' at KL Sentral (in front of CIMB). Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment